In order to keep everything running safely, smoothly, and to keep everyone having a good time; we have a few simple rules for all members of the team to follow.
RESPECT: Respect is the key to keeping everything running smoothly. Always be respectful of your home gym, its instructors, your team mates, and the sport. The following should help:
- Address your instructors as “Coach” and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belts as “Professor”
- Be on time for class, or even early if you can so that you have your uniform on and are ready.
- If you’re late, don’t worry – it happens. Wait at the mats edge for a Coach to invite you on.
- Please keep your cell phone on vibrate or silent while you’re in the gym.
- It’s tradition to face the center of the mat and bow when stepping on and off each time.
EQUIPMENT & HYGIENE: Good hygiene practices are crucial in a combat sports gym to minimize the risk of infections such as MRSA, Staph, Ringworm etc. Also having the right gear for each class helps ensure a safe, fun, and smooth training session for everyone.
- Jiu Jitsu students must wear a clean, dry, and IBJJF approved Gi (Blue, White, Black with matching tops and bottoms) free of rips and tears, and complete with team patches. No outside Team or Affiliation patches will be permitted.
- Jiu Jitsu students must wash and dry their Gi after every class, we suggest owning two Gi’s.
- Jiu Jitsu students need to wear a t shirt or a rash guard under their Gi’s and use the restrooms to change. We recommend Rash Guards & Spats to minimize skin to skin contact.
- Kickboxing students should have the appropriate ranked T shirt on, and appropriate fight shorts or leggings.
- Kickboxing students are required to have their own Gloves, Shin Guards, Hand Wraps, and Mouth Guard nightly.
- NoGi students MUST wear a rash guard (no T shirts or bare chests) and fight shorts (no zippers, buttons, or pockets permitted)
- Students must remove all makeup and jewelry (rings and piercings included). Makeup stains your teammates gear, and the jewelry can become a serious safety hazard.
- Come to the gym clean and free of body odor or excessive cologne/perfume/body spray.
- Students should not be barefoot when outside of the training area, please bring appropriate foot wear.
- No street shoes, food, or drinks on the training mat … EVER.
BE A GOOD TEAMMATE:
- Refrain from speaking while Instructors are speaking, it is disrespectful and distracts your classmates.
- Only drill the techniques currently authorized by the instructor, and use the amount of resistance prescribed for each drill.
- Sit up and be attentive during instruction, its a sign of respect for your instructor and the sport.
- Leave the instruction of new material to the Coaching Staff
- YouTube is not a Coach ….
- Keep your training playful, your intent should never be to injure a team mate